It’s always great when you can manage to get more than one meal from one evenings cooking. These are both simple recipes that you can either make separately, or cook extra roast pork the first night so you can use the leftovers the following evening in the pasta salad.
A word of warning – if you have a family of gannets like mine, you might like to remove the ‘extra’ meat before serving up the roast so that it doesn’t get eaten!
Roast Pork Fillet with Herbs
(Serves 6 – or 4 with leftovers for Pork, Pasta and Feta Salad tomorrow)
- 2 pork fillets both weighing about 450g if doing both meals – if only doing the roast then just get enough pork fillet to feed 4
- a bunch fresh sage
- a bunch fresh thyme and some
- some fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 190°C.
- Strip the leaves from the herbs and chop.
- Pour a tablespoon of oil onto the chopping board and spread it over the board with half the herbs. Roll one pork fillet in the oil / herb mixture until all covered in herbs. Put to one side and do the same with the second fillet with more oil and the other half of the chopped herbs.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Place one of the fillets in the pan and brown, turning till browned evenly all over but not cooked through. Place on a piece of tinfoil, scraping in all the herbs left in the pan and wrap up loosely.
- Do the same with the other fillet. Place both tinfoil parcels in a roasting tray and cook in oven for about 30 or 40 minutes depending on how well you like them cooked (mine were cooked for 40 minutes).
- When cooked, take out of the oven and leave wrapped in tinfoil for about 10 minutes to rest – carve and serve. If you’re hoping to make the salad tomorrow, put aside half of one of the fillets (~250g) before serving the roast.
And the following day…
(This recipe is adapted from one in BBC Good Food several years ago)
Pork, Feta and Pasta Salad
- 2 x 250g pack tortellini (cheese / cheese and tomato filling)
- 200g frozen peas
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Packet of rocket leaves
- Half a 200g pack of feta cheese, crumbled
- Leftover pork cut into thin slices (approximately 250g)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Cook the frozen peas in a pan of boiling water and drain when done.
- Place the peas in a bowl with the tomatoes, rocket and feta.
- Cook the tortellini according to packet instructions in a large pan of boiling water. Drain.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Stir-fry the pork slices until heated through. When hot, remove from the heat and add the remains of the oil, the balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to the pan.
- Add the pork and tortellini to the salad – mix all together and serve with extra feta if you wish.