This is Sam’s Stern recipe for macaroni cheese from his book ‘Get Cooking’
We’ve tweaked the quantities so this should feed one hungry student.
- 85g pasta (macaroni)
- 20g butter
- 20g plain flour
- 200 mls milk
- 85g grated cheddar cheese + extra
- ¼ teaspoon English mustard
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 200°C
- Fill large pan with water.
- Add salt (about ½ teasp) and put on to boil.
- Weigh 85g pasta.
- When water is boiling, add pasta to pan and turn down heat slightly.
- Cook following packet instructions.
- Cheese Sauce
- Weigh out:
– 85 g grated (mature) cheddar
– 20 g butter
– 20 g plain flour
– 200 mls milk (~½ pint)
- You also need:
– ¼ tsp english mustard
– ½ tbsp lemon juice
- Melt butter in saucepan over a _medium_ heat.
- Add flour & stir for 2 minutes.
- Take pan off heat.
- Add milk slowly: start with a tablespoonful at a time, stirring well into the butter mixture till it is a smooth consistency before adding more milk.
- Put pan back on heat. Stir continually till it heats and thickens.
- When it comes to the boil, simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cheese, mustard and lemon juice. Stir until all melted.
- Take off heat. Taste and add pepper and salt as you like (= 2 grinds black pepper, we didn’t add any salt).
- Put pasta and cheese sauce into an oven proof dish and stir until all the pasta is covered with sauce.
- * Add extras (cooked beforehand), eg:
– ham and mushrooms?
– broccoli and chicken?
- Grate some extra cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and golden on top. If you don’t have an oven, you can put under a hot grill for a few minutes instead.
- Weigh out:
You could also try: