A recipe to impress!
(But – remember that people won’t be impressed however well you cook it if they don’t like seafood).
Buy the seafood salad on the day and defrost just before you need it – or alternatively (if the mussels and squid are not quite to your taste) use a mixture of cooked chicken cut into small chunks and cooked prawns (again- buy prawns on the day you want to eat them).
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek or onion, sliced
- 150g (approx) pack chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 300g long grain rice, washed – place in a sieve and run cold water over it
- 1 litre hot fish or chicken stock, made with water just boiled in the kettle poured over two stock cubes
- 200g frozen peas
- 400g frozen seafood mix, defrosted
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, then soften the onnion for 5 mins (over a medium heat) without browning.
- Add the chorizo and fry until it releases its oils. Stir in the turmeric and rice until coated by the oils, then pour in the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Tip in the peas and cook for 5 mins, then stir in the seafood to heat through for a final 1-2 mins cooking or until rice is cooked.
- Check for seasoning (we didn’t add any salt and pepper by mistake and is still tasted fantastic), and serve immediately with lemon wedges.