I guess it’s mandatory to post a Sausage recipe during British Sausage Week, but the truth is that we probably eat our fair share of sausages whatever the week.
This is a pretty simple supper to put together. Just pop everything together in one dish and the vegetables roast in the fat from the sausages. To make it truly ‘one-pot’ add the potatoes to the roasting dish too, but I would suggest par-boiling them for 5 minutes beforehand to make sure everything is ready together. Otherwise you’ll have browned sausages with crunchy potatoes – not ideal.
I did say that I was aiming for low-cost this month. Obviously it depends on what ingredients you buy and sausages can vary hugely in price. I use Waitrose ordinary sausages bought from the deli counter at £2.99 a kilo, but you can use whatever your favourite is.
Roast Sausages with Vegetables
- 8 – 12 sausages – vary this according to how many your family usually eats
- 1 red onion
- 2 peppers (different colours)
- 4 medium carrots (~350g)
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 500g new potatoes
- a little oil
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash the potatoes, chop into half and put into a large pan of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes – drain.
- Meanwhile, peel the onion and cut into wedges.
Wash the peppers, de-seed and chop coarsely.
Wash the tomatoes and cut into quarters.
Peel the carrots and chop into small chunks.
- Put all the veg, including the drained potatoes into a roasting dish with a tiny bit of oil (remember that the sausages will produce quite a bit of fat) and mix around briefly. Prick the sausages with a sharp knife and lay on top of the vegetables.
- Roast for about 20 minutes at 200°C. Turn the sausages over and roast for a further 20 minutes.
- When the sausages are browned, remove from the oven. Make sure that the potatoes are cooked through and serve with steamed green beans or a green salad.
(Calculations made in good faith from mysupermarket.co.uk prices – which vary regularly)
- Sausages – £2.00 from Waitrose
- Red Onion (Sainsburys loose red onions – 22p)
- 1 Red and 1 Orange pepper (Sainsburys basics mixed peppers 600g – use ½ a bag = 95p)
- 4 medium carrots (350g @ 90p / kilo = 30p)
- 4 medium tomatoes (Sainsburys basics tomatoes 450g for 81p – use ½ = 40p)
- 500g new potatoes (Sainsburys new potatoes 1kg @ 1.60 = 80p)
- thyme, olive oil, balsamic vinegar (- guestimate of ~ 25p)
Total ~ £4.93